Friday 1 January 2016

Welcome 2016

The first blog post of the new year is an exercise in quantifying my online presence last year. In January 2015, my stats were:
Twitter     -- 2440 tweets, following 15, 62 followers
Facebook    -- 320 friends, member of 22 groups
Blogger     -- 103 posts (including 40 in LiveJournal)
Github      -- 2 repositories;
               raygate = 560 KB, ruwi = 228 KB; total = 788 KB.
Short films -- Ray Mahruwi Productions = 7

Today they are:
Twitter     -- 2695 tweets, following 16, 65 followers
Facebook    -- 936 friends, member of 40 groups
Blogger     -- 129 posts
Github      -- 3 repositories;
               raygate = 560 KB, ruwi = 228 KB, gtdm-r = 35.46MB
               total = 36.25 MB
Short Films -- Ray Mahruwi Productions = 11.

For short films, I did not record the views count at the start of 2015. As of now, the views count is:
Name Views
Nannu Kshaminchu Mahatmaa 2747
Malupu 5387
Nava Bethalam 1874
Manasa Ne Cheppe Maata Vinamma 26722
The Upliftment 5378
Ahana Kalyanam 51747
Katha-Screenplay-Darsakathvam - MH (Appalraju Kadu) 573
Glamour 2027
Aatmabhimanam - Idi andariki artham kaaka povachchu 210
Nirvana 1638
Parody Video 2389
Total = 100692

The 100K+ views are for all short films, those that I produced and directed as well as those that I only produced. This number would be a good one for comparing this year's indulgence in shorts.

I made a book reading list in July last year. It was:
1. India Shastra : Reflections on the Nation in our Time by Shashi Tharoor.
2. David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell. This one recommended by Kal.
3. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. This one’s been pending for long.
4. Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold Abelson, Gerald Jay Sussman, Julie Sussman.
5. The Mind’s I : Fantasies and Reflections on Self and Soul by Daniel C. Dennett and Douglas R. Hofstadter.
6. I am a Strange Loop : 0 by Douglas R. Hofstadter.
Rereads
7. I’m OK -- You’re OK by Thomas Harris.
8. Blink by Malcolm Gladwell.
9. The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy.
10. The Argumentative Indian by Amartya Sen.

What did I actually accomplish? Dismal. Could read only David and Goliath, and am half way through Blink. So, no new list for this year. The same list continues with the following additions:
  • Autobiography of a Mad Nation - Sriram Karri
  • From the Ruins of Empire: The Revolt Against the West and the Remaking of Asia - Pankaj Mishra
  • The Heart Goes Last -- Margaret Atwood
  • The Silk Worm -- Robert Galbraith

To take stock: my web presence grew but not at the rate I had wanted it to be. Professionally and personally, I have gone through a lot in these 365 days than the previous thousand perhaps. Double disappointments happened: be it startups or short films. Two in each space did not work out the way I thought they would. My reading was dismal.

So what I need to do is clear: be more active on Twitter, be diligent in my reading, and put out a lot more code on github.

But I can take some amount of satisfaction from the 26 blog posts, 4 short films and ~600 new Facebook friends. Along the way I became a DZone MVB (Most Valuable Blogger) and two of my blog posts were re-published on that site.

Going into the new year, two values I sincerely hope to live by are --
a) detachment : Things won't happen as you want them to be, things will happen as they are supposed to be. Just remember, the Almighty has better plans for you than you have for yourself.
b) focus : Do one thing and do it well. Bring things to a logical conclusion and it doesn't matter even if you are going slowly as long as you are going in the right direction.

A Happy 2016 to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment